January 13, 2009

Easy Chevon Enchiladas

Easy Chevon Enchiladas


1 lb. ground Chevon (goat meat)

1 small onion (chopped)

1 large can red sauce(enchilada sauce)

12 oz. package shredded cheddar cheese

1 (10 count) package 9" soft tortillas


Brown meat, with onions on medium

heat, drain and add half of red sauce and

half of cheese, mix well. Spread some red

sauce in bottom of 13 x 9 glass baking dish

(just enough to cover bottom)[if metal pan is

used, grease pan]


Lay out one tortilla and put about 3 Tbs of

mixture in center, roll up and place in dish.

Repeat until all mixture, and tortillas are

used.


Spread remaining sauce over enchiladas

and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake in preheated oven @ 375 for 25 min


*Hamburger can of course be substituted for the ground chevon. Spanish rice on the side goes very well with this dish.

11 comments:

KathyB. said...

Oh, great recipe. I will try it. Maybe with lamb too! When I raised goats we had Boer / Nubian cross kids and the very best meat I ever ate was a milk and alfalfa fed wether. By the time we realized how very good and economical raising this kind of meat was I had already sold all my breeding stock. Maybe some time in the future.....when I am done with sheep. For now I am fattening yearling wethered lambs.

The Three Little Bears said...

Okay, I am making this tonight! Thank you!

Leasmom said...

OMG, that looks delicious and I would love to try the goat meat in it. WOW, that looks yummy!

diane said...

those look so very scrumpdillyumptious :)

Dalyn said...

YUM! I have a wether that needs to go in the freezer- this is inspiring!

Jennifer said...

Thanks! You know Kathy I have never tried lamb, I would like to someday though.

Mary Humphrey said...

I am behind in commenting on the posts that I have been enjoying. When I read this one, I reminded myself that I need to stock some goat meat in my freezer as well. This recipe sounds (and looks) delicious!

Hidden Brook Farm said...

Looks great, can almost taste it from here....going have to make some.

Boozy Tooth said...

I've tried Carribean goat curry and must admit it was pretty good. I've had roasted duck, crispy duck and Turkducken and liked it all. I've also had both a goat and a duck as pets and loved them dearly.


So my question is.... do you raise goats for meat, and if so, how do you bring yourself to dispatch them? Just the thought is heartbreaking to me.

Jennifer said...

I am sorry Alix, somehow I missed your question! Most of the goats we raise are registered and go for breeding stock but yes we have raised goats for meat for ourselves and we do raise some meat wethers. I do have a hard time eating animals I raised, but I also know that the animals we raise are treated humanely. They are not crammed into a hot building or muddy lot like on a factory farm. They are on a large pasture, get extra treats and shelter from the rain. They are treated kindly and when it is time, they are killed quickly and humanely. They are processed at an inspected facility. Goat meat is very healthy, it has less fat than chicken!

http://www.goatconnection.com/articles/publish/goat_meat.shtml

Hanna said...

Hi there! I am your newest follower from the blog hop! Lovely blog you have:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

Your goats are adorable