January 08, 2009

Bayla Update - Everything is OK

The update on Bayla is she is home from the vet and everything seems to be OK. She came home from the vet clinic yesterday a little sore but in good spirits. The vet sent home some pain pills to give her once a day and instructions to keep her in the house for an additional 24 hours. Bayla is an outside dog that has always stayed with our goat herd so I figured we were in for a long and interesting night, but I have to report Bayla's stay in the house has been rather...not interesting, she has been the perfect, well-mannered lady in the house. There has not been a single accident to report, nor a single item chewed, no food stolen off the counter even though it was right there tempting her at eye level or even a coffee table cleared with her big wagging tail.

I figured Bayla's first stay in a house, especially one as small as ours would be akin to a bull in a china shop but somehow despite the fact she takes up half the floor space in most rooms, she has been graceful and very unobtrusive. The only excitement came when Bayla saw a mirror for the first time and took exception with the dog in the mirror on the bedroom door and barked and growled at it, but in her defense the more she growled at that dog the more the strange dog growled right back at her. Well-mannered...yes...genious...maybe not. She still hasn't quite got that mirror thing figured out but I guess she figured she put the mirror dog in its place well enough she doesn't have to say so much about it anymore as long as the mirror dog stays at the door of the room she is OK.

Bayla is calmly laying at my feet now, but I know she is ready to go back to her goats though, every time I let her outside to potty she goes to the backyard fence line where there is a pen where some young does are being kept and she lays down beside the fence where her goats are. Of course, I am incredibly biased but I am very impressed with the adaptability and work ethic of this dog, Bayla is really a great dog. She will go in a small pasture by the house with a few goats tomorrow so she can be where she is happiest and we can keep a close eye on her, then in two weeks she goes back to the vet's office for a post-surgery check-up and to get her stitches out.

*The picture is of sweet Bayla in the house last night, I did finally get a new camera...hooray! I forgot to use the flash though.

10 comments:

The Scavenger said...

So glad all is well. I know you are glad to have her home.

Chris

Mary Humphrey said...

Oh, that is so good! I thought about you and Bayla several times. Glad she is back home.

Tatersmama said...

I'm glad it's going well and from the sounds of it, you will both be relieved when Bayla can go back outside. :o)

Anonymous said...

Sweetness! Yeah on a new digital camera Jennifer.

Becky said...

Way to go Bayla! I know you have a big relief now that she is home and safe.

Gone2theDawgs said...

Glad to hear everything went well with Baylas spay. Even though guardian dogs are generally large they have a good idea about where every part of their body is. When I have our Akbash in the house she is very careful about moving around things. I'm sure Bayla, like Sheba (our Akbash) can't wait to be back outside.

Hidden Brook Farm said...

Glad she is home safe & sound.

Peggy said...

Bayla is such a sweet well mannered lady. I can't wait until we have a dog like her.

Jennifer said...

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate them. I am very glad Bayla is home.

Tonia said...

Soo Funny about the dog in the mirror. Glad she is doing good!