April 18, 2009

What the Hail?

It has been a stormy evening here in Kansas, with thunder, heavy rain and a short but pretty impressive hail storm. I heard it hitting the roof first, then the hail started hitting the windows and as the storm went on I was sure they would break, but they did not. I was less concerned about the windows than I was about the goats. They have not one shed but 3 sheds and the horse trailer to choose from. Still, I couldn't help but worry about the kids. Did they know enough to go in them during a storm? As soon as it was reasonably safe, I did check them and they were all OK, in the sheds with their mothers. Here are some pictures taken after the hail storm.

The back porch after the storm.

Standing water beside the porch with the ice pellets floating on the water. Why does this picture make me want a cup of hot chocolate with mini-marshmallows?

Don't worry, that wasn't good hay that got rained on, just some old hay set aside for the garden.

Look how much water and hail piled up on this tarp!

11 comments:

Linda Hughes said...

So happy you are all okay!

Jurilei said...

Oh my, that sounded kinda scarey! I am so glad you and the goats were all okay!

Juri

Anonymous said...

Glad you are all safe. That picture of the tarp is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't think we've had any hail in the 4 years I've lived in Virginia. But I remember it from when I lived in Utah.

It can be scary! But cool! Fun photos.

Jenny said...

Crazy weather! Glad all the babies knew to follow their mamas inside.
~Jenny~

Boozy Tooth said...

Wow. We don't get a lot of hail in Florida, but occasionally it comes. My sister in Dallas, on the other hand, gets severe hail on a regular basis. In fact, all the hoods of the cars there are dimpled from hail stones. Isn't that crazy? Last year there was such a bad hail storm 80 percent of the homes in her neighborhood (including hers) needed new roofs! I guess we are very lucky here. Hail can be expensive!

Glad the goats were okay. Poor little things.

Becky said...

Glad it wasn't any worse, I hate storms!
We have a mini horse and she will come out of here stall to be in a storm, crazy horse.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a hail of a storm! Just had to say it! I know you were relieved to find the kids safe and sound with their mamas.

Girl Tornado said...

Glad all the kids and their mommas are safe! We got pretty bad storms last night too, from the same front that hit you, (I posted some sky pics on my photo blog) but I don't think we got any hail. It was raining so hard I couldn't even see from the house windows to the horse pens. I'm sure they were in their shelters!

And what a muddy, muddy mess this morning... we got 2" rain last night in about an hour!

brokenteepee said...

The publicist is a storm wimp. Hides under the bed with the cats. We goats are pretty smart. I always know were my kid, Kevin is. Well, most of the time. He is a little imp.
Impressive amout of hail you had there...

Twisted Fencepost said...

That's some kinda storm there. I hope it melts all that hail before it gets over here!