March 09, 2010

Spring, is that you?

Could it be? I saw a bee the other day but I wasn't sure after such a long cold winter if I could really believe Spring was finally on the way or not, but what do we have here? Green grass! It gets better than bees and green grass though, the weather was gorgeous this past weekend! It was so nice to go outdoors in the sunshine. Time to start thinking about the garden, gosh I haven't even started any seeds yet!

Two New Kids Rest After A Long Day of Play
Springtime also means new goat kids! So far we have had 8 new goat babies born on the farm the last few weeks with one more doe to kid this month and a dozen more does due to kid in April. The cute and entertaining new babies on the farm are only one of the reasons I love Spring so much. It is the time of year when everything seems to be coming to life. The grass comes back, the trees bud, the farm animals have their babies, it is a time of new beginnings on the farm and I love that.

Young Boer Buckling
The kids have been a wide variety of colors so far this year, we have got two black headed Boer kids, two red headed ones, a blonde boy, two red siblings and a black percentage Boer doeling with white ears.

Who are you?
Heart the Boer doe meets one of the new kids for the first time. There is a fence between them because we are keeping the newborn baby goats in a smaller lot with their moms due to the weather until they are a few days older. This little guy is about ready to go out in the big pasture with the rest of the herd, along with his mother of course. Heart will have her own babies in April. If the weather is nice in April, experienced mom does like Heart will likely kid out in the pasture since we try to keep things as natural as possible. Our does are great moms, we try to be there in case help is needed but also stay out of their way and not interfere when things go normally, as they usually do.

Has Spring shown up where you live yet?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww, look at the babies! I want the black headed one, so cute!

Bossy Betty said...

Thanks for these adorable photos! I just love baby goats!

Kelly Cook said...

I'm in AZ, and we've got spring for sure! But the crazy kind we tend to get. Shorts weather one day and cold the next! I have grass tall enough to mow, but before I got to it, we got 4 days of rain!

The kids are cute!

farmlady said...

It's Spring and it's beautiful!!
I can hear all of us singing about her in unison...

"There she (is) just a-walking down the street
Singing do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do
Snapping her fingers and shuffling her feet
Singing do wah diddy...
She looked good, she looked fine
And I nearly lost my mind."

Springtime is "walking down the street" and I think we are all catching her fever.

brokenteepee said...

Ha! It snowed today!

The kids are adorable.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Those kids look so cute all cuddled up together!

Nancy M. said...

Today was like spring here finally! The kids are so cute!

KathyB. said...

That is a handsome buckling, besides his stunning black and white markings ( I am partial to black and white animals)he is so solidly built, and sturdy looking from front to back. Just beautifully handsome in the best buckling way~ Yes, I sure love this time of year, baby animals bouncing and chirping and just being cute!

Duane k said...

Cute kids! Welcome Spring!!!

Da Bean said...

They r sweet!!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

the warmer weather is helping to melt the snow! i worked outside for the first time yesterday!

Anonymous said...

No Spring goat kids here since we didn't breed any and the last time we had kids was in 2007!

The snow is starting to melt here, it has been just gorgeous here the last couple of days, it was in the 50's yesterday and it's supposed to be in the 60's Friday!

Amy

Alison said...

As a matter of fact, Spring just sprang this weekend! I heard a red-winged blackbird high up in a tree, and Monday evening the daffodils were ready to pop. Two or three were blooming this morning when I left. No baby goats bouncing around the yard, though!

sunset pines farm said...

Cute babies!
We have had our share of high 60s and low 70s temps in the last 2 weeks, but today will be a setback with severe t-storms predicted on and off all day long.

Jen's Farmily said...

Just yesterday I noticed that my flowers were starting to pop up!! I couldn't believe it. It seemed like spring would never get here!!

I love the new baby pictures. They are SO CUTE!!

Holly said...

I long for spring but not the additional work load since I'm not done with winter's chores indoors. In fact I'm painting right now and I've got lots more to go. But looking at your cute little boers especially the black headed buck almost sways me to wish it was here right now. My goats are due for a while. good thing because snow covers the ground.

Sandy said...

I am in love with those babies.

Leslie said...

Congratulations on all of your cute little babies! They must be so much fun to watch.

A.C.E said...

Cute kids! Welcome Spring!!! :))

Twisted Fencepost said...

Yes it is! I see buds all over the place. And I love listening to the birds in the mornings.
I can only imagine how cute it is at your place with all those cute little babies running around.

Allison aka Scooty's Mom said...

The kids are darling!! Spring is right around the corner!

Anonymous said...

p.s. here's an award for you!

http://justahappyhousewife.blogspot.com/2010/03/friday-fragments-for-319.html